PROPERTIES OF POROUS PAVER CONCRETE BLOCKS AND THEIR OVERALL INFILTRATION RATE IN PAVEMENT FORMATION
Keywords:Porous pavers, Infiltration rate, Coefficient of variations, Water storage, Pavement formation
Porous paver concrete block is a mixture of Portland cement, coarse aggregate or gravel, and water. It is porous because finer material, like fine sand from the concrete mixture, is removed. The focus of this research is to study the properties and the consistency of readymade porous paver concrete blocks produced by a local factory for possible use in future application as components in interlocking/non-interlocking paver systems with water storage capability. The water infiltration rates of the paver block samples were studied through characteristics such as density, water absorption and porosity. The weight, density, and void content of porous paver concrete blocks that were presented in this study are based on 38 samples and analyzed using descriptive analysis. Then, samples were arranged in paver formation. Two variations of jointing surfaces were identified to study the infiltration rates. From the statistical analysis results, 84.2% of the block samples were consistent in terms of weight, density, and void content, and the remaining 15.8% of the block samples were excluded from the infiltration test. Results from the infiltration test showed that there were differences in infiltration rates between the two jointing variations, as infiltration rates for jointing Design B were higher compared to jointing Design A. The overall infiltration capacity of 33559.75 mm/hour (0.93 cm/s) complies with the requirement of standard paver blocks systems.